Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Stupid Short-Term Collecting Goal

Odd are, if you're reading this, you've experienced the heat wave that's been working its way across America this past week. I'm not going to bore you with temperatures, but I would like you to know that I've been feeling like a prisoner in my own house lately. While living in a nearly-100-year-old house has its charms, the one thing it does lack is the general duct work that most newer homes have, making central air conditioning a difficult prospect (not impossible, mind you, but difficult and pricey). My wife and I have mostly sequestered ourselves in the bedroom, which is kept cool by a small window unit. Venturing outside of this room requires planning, tact, and a steel will.

To help pass the time, I've caught myself up on some long-delayed card organizing. One of the things I've gotten into (and to which this blog post's title refers) is a fairly large lot of... 1989 Bowman.
This half-sorted box was part of the amazing $40 card lot from 2010. Yeah, that was from last April, and it's been sitting untouched since then. Well, I sorted it, took out the doubles, and made a want list. That's right, I'm looking to cards to complete a 1989 Bowman set. Stupid, right?

Okay, so there are a few reasons why this isn't such a bad idea. Let's see if I can get up to three of these.
1. Reminds me of childhood. When the Sav-a-Lot near my friend's house started carrying these, we warily bought a few packs. I mostly stuck to Topps and Donruss, though, that year, and never collected too many Bowman. The bottom line: I think we had trouble storing them, which gets us to number two...
2. I have the perfect box for them.

Look at that beauty, would ya! This is the box they came in, and this is the box in which they shall stay. The custom IDENT-A-PRO label system makes this box about as official as they come. The complete set checkbox has remained unmarked these past 22 years, and it's time to put a stop to that. The box has the right amount of girth to store the cards with ease. Just wondering out loud here, but do they still make boxes like these? I'd suppose collectors would want similar ones for early Topps sets with larger dimensions than the modern card, so someone must still make them, right?
3. Why not? My '89 set building has gone well, with both the aforementioned Topps and Donruss complete. Perhaps this can help me build momentum towards an Upper Deck run someday? Meh, probably not.

If you'd like to help out on this stupid, stupid project, check out my want lists, I've got everything I need in reverse chronological order for easy searching. And while you're at it, maybe you can help me with some other stuff. I need a few Allen & Ginter Animals from last year, some '09 Piece of History base cards, '09 Upper Deck X Die-Cuts, and a few other things. Let's trade!