Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Art Assignment

One of the sets I've begun work on building (under stealth conditions) is the 1971-72 Topps basketball set. It's a very promising challenge in many ways.
1. First of all, it's the craziest looking set Topps has ever produced.
2. It's not a huge set, and none of the cards have a price that's outside of the realm of possibility of my affording it. The Pete Maravich is his second year card.
3. The size is right. The '71-72 cards are the same size as modern cards. This cannot be said for all early Topps basketball releases.
4. My Milwaukee Bucks won their only NBA title in 1971, and in the middle of the checklist there are some playoff highlights cards that would be great to own.

Here is your assignment, should you choose to accept it. I have made a very rough template that will serve as the cover to the binder that will house this set. I downloaded a particularly groovy font pack and made a jpg of the image I'd like to use. The problem: It's just black text on a white field, hardly the image suited to honoring this amazing set. I need you to take my original image and design a binder cover worthy of the 1971-72 Topps basketball set.

From all of the submissions sent my way, I will choose my five favorites to share in a post, and the designer of my very favorite of these will receive a prize (most likely something basketball themed). You have one week from today to send me a jpg file of your submission. It must be easily printable in a vertical fashion on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper.

A few hints:
*I don't want to see any players, uniforms, or team insignias in this image.
*Simpler is often, but not always, better. If your cover looks like something an eighth grader with a GeoCities account designed back in 1996, don't even bother sending it.
*Here are some cards for inspiration.



3 comments:

Retrofan said...

What font is that?

Thorzul said...

I don't remember. I made this months ago and finally got around to asking for help.

dawgbones said...

both a jpeg version and a PDF version sent to your yahoo email.

That was fun!!