Sunday, August 7, 2011

The 100 Best Finds in a 30-Dollar Lot: #94

1988 Fleer Star Stickers #3 Cal Ripken, Jr.

I guess I never thought about it before, but if I had, I probably wouldn't have thought it possible: Cal Ripken looks kind of cocky on this card. I know he's not, but it's a funny pose to see him in.

It also needs to be said how awesome this would look stuck to a Trapper Keeper. I know I would have done some such thing back in the day. Come to think of it, my childhood collection was housed in all sorts of crazy crap. I clearly remember Upper Deck hologram and Fleer non-hologram stickers stuck to a binder that had a horrible canvas textured cover. That thing looked like ass after like a week. There were also some really ugly binders that my dad got from work (he was a principal) that were leftovers from a reading series or something like that. A New Journey or Up, Up, and Away or some such nondescript bullshit name for the same repackaged crap... those weren't doing my piddly collection any favors.

The worst, though, was the box I had that in many ways resembled an 800-count box, but originally held a microphone. I think my mom got it when she was cleaning out a church basement or something. The only problem was that with cards in it, there was no way the lid would close, so any card that was ever held in that box ended up looking like a dog chewed on it.

However, now its more than 20 years later. Bend and peel? I think not.

No comments: