Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Born to Collect

Today I snapped this photo of an interesting juxtaposition. We've been going back and forth to the hospital where our daughter was born every day because she was born with a mild case of the jaundice. It's pretty much cleared up now, and this morning was hopefully her last trip. See if you can spot something of interest.

To the right is the block where the hospital's property begins, but across the street, there lies an establishment that is uncommonly found these days. Let's zoom in.

There you have it. Across the street from where Harper was born sits a card shop, West Allis Sportcards. As you can see, it shares a tiny lot with a laundromat. In the interest of full disclosure, I had no hand in picking the birthing hospital. It has just about the best women's health program in the Milwaukee area and it came highly recommended.

I know what you're all thinking, and the answer is no. At no point in the delivery or recovery process did I step out for a few packs. Maybe I would have, but for some reason this shop does not sell individual packs. Rather, they specialize in boxes of Allen & Ginter that top $100. The proprietor is a nice enough guy, but I haven't been in there in a while. Most of the time I'm just in there for supplies, and sometimes I do a quick hunt through his dime boxes. I can sometimes tell he's a little pissed off when I walk out of there with a couple of 800-count boxes and a dollar worth of commons. But hey, you have to look out for number one, right?

All in all, I'd have to say that being born across the street from a card shop is a very good omen, and I just might have a little collector on my hands after all.

2 comments:

--David said...

I find the combo of a laundrymat/card shop even more perplexing...

mike said...

There is a loose correlation there: for all of the quarters that Thorzul is dropping buying storage boxes and discount singles, that guy can turn it around at the laundromat to give customers to wash their dirty laundry! Maybe?