Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Pull of a Lifetime (Or... Why I'm Not At the National)

If you were one of the people who had contacted me about meeting up at the NSCC only to get a fairly nonspecific excuse that I was busy, I can finally elaborate on that excuse. On Monday night my wife went into labor and on Tuesday morning she gave birth to our first child, a girl, Harper Renee Boehm.

If that isn't a two-day-old that's deep in thought, contemplating her next move, I don't know what is. My little Badger.

And before you ask, no, her name has nothing to do with Bryce Harper. We had the name picked out almost three years ago after watching a movie where one of the characters had that name. I only made The Chosen One connection about two weeks ago. In any case, it's also a little more Harper Lee, as well as a family last name on my dad's side. And damn that David Beckham, stealing it from obscurity a few weeks before us.

So, if you made a trade request and I haven't gotten back to you, or if you're waiting for the group break results, please be patient with me. We got home from the hospital today, and even with a little girl who is perfect in every way, it's going to be slow going around the Thorzul compound for a while.

It's a bit of a shame I wasn't able to make it to Chicago this week, what with the convention practically in my backyard and all, but that's something that will have to wait for the future. We've had a due date of August 8th since we found out right after Thanksgiving, and there was no way I was going to be gone for the biggest event in my life. In the meantime, have fun if you're there.

Oh, and one thing I was able to do before we left for the hospital on Monday was to pick up a few packs to save until the baby (we elected not to find out if it was a boy or girl until the moment of birth) gets old enough to appreciate and open them. It's something I think I'll add to each year until the collecting bug bites her, but I want to go especially big on 2011 cards. Her stockpile has one pack each of Topps Series 1, Heritage, and Allen & Ginter. Boy, it's something I wish my parents had done. I think I would have died and gone to heaven to have been able to open a pack of 1978 Topps when I was 11 or 12 years old.

29 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Congats!

ThingsareFunnerHere said...

Congrats! She's beautiful. I know she will enjoy the packs someday!

jaybarkerfan said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Trey J. said...

Congrats!! She's so pretty. I wish you guys all the best and hopefully she gets some nice pulls in those packs one day.

Play at the Plate said...

Congrats to the Thorzul family. You'll have a 2011 A&G rack pack since you won my august contest.

dawgbones said...

Congratulations!!

Dennis said...

Congrats, Bill, that's awesome! Being a bit literary I actually thought of Harper Lee before Bryce popped into my head, and I think you picked a nice name. Since you titled this "Pull of a lifetime" but you're probably pretty tired, I'm limiting myself to one joke: Is she FS/FT or are you putting her on eBay (or are you waiting to see what others go for first?). All the best to you and Mrs. Thorzul.

beardy said...

Congrats my man!

You'll just have to come to the National next year in Baltimore. First round is on me.

Chris Mays said...

Fantastic news!!!!! Congratulations to you and your wife.

Mad Guru said...

Congratulations to you and your family!

FanOfReds said...

Now that's a legit 1/1 pull!

Seriously though, congrats! I also think the pack idea is quite awesome.

Kevin said...

Congratulations! I second Beardy's invite to next year's National in Bawlmer. In the meantime, treasure your daughter and every moment of sleep you can steal.

Retrofan said...

As a fellow Leo (today being my birthday actually) I welcome your daughter to the pride. And speaking of pride, you must be just bursting with it. Congratulations to all the Boehm's.

PS The pack idea is excellent.

lifetimetopps said...

Congrats!

the sewingmachineguy said...

Beautiful. I think it's great that you two waited until the bay was born to "find out". Congrats buddy.

Jason said...

Congrats to you and your family. Great idea, too, saving some unopened packs. My son was born at the end of March, so I'm gonna have to borrow that idea for him.

carlsonjok said...

if you made a trade request and I haven't gotten back to you

You aren't very good at prospecting, are you? I'd wait to see how she pans out in her first full season before putting her on the block.

Bo said...

Congratulations!!

Spankee said...

Congrats, man.

shoeboxlegends said...

Congratulations Thorzul! Great name by the way.

TJ said...

Congratulations!

PunkRockPaint said...

So happy for you guys! She's beautiful!

Colbey said...

She is a cutie, congrats! My wife gave birth to our 2nd daughter on July 1st (Winnie...and yes we stole her name from The Wonder Years) so I can relate to having your hands full...even with a perfect little girl!

night owl said...

Great news.

I tried the card thing with my daughter when she was tiny. Her interest lasted two days.

Now she likes vampire cards and Teen Vogue. It's the best I could do.

sportscardblog.net said...

Congrats on the baby-jo!

IkesCards said...

Congrats!

White Sox Cards said...

Congratulations!!!

- indianaland potch said...

Congrats. My daughter (and one and only) just turned 4. She loves watching me sort cards and is always talking about how I'd "better not being going out to buy baseball cards" - (she gets that from the missus, of course).

In any case, it's pretty amazing having a little girl. You'll love it - whether she collects one day or not, of course.

We waited to find out too. Pretty neat.

paulie3jobs said...

I think this is more of a "push" than a "pull". Congrats, she's gorgeous.

Get some sleep, you're probably going to need it (says the father of 3 kids who were all terrible sleepers.)

Oh and go out and start a 2011 Topps flagship set for her. That's what my oldest gets, my daughter, proof coin sets, which she loves, and the youngest got Upper Deck.