Monday, September 5, 2011

Fuck Face Hole Punch?

No, the title of this blog post is not the name of a new, and possibly illegal (in some southern states), sexual act. Nor is it a lyric from the latest Nine Inch Nails single. It's a description of the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken card I found for sale on eBay. Now, I'm well familiar with the wide range of legitimate corrections Fleer made and released in response to the infamous "Fuck Face" card. Take a look at what's being offered below.

So, whaddya think? Me, I'm a bit skeptical. How easy would it be to grab any of the existing variations and a single-hole punch and go to town on this bad boy? I've never heard of the hole punch variant, but maybe I'm in the dark on this one. Maybe someone with one of those sports cards physician's desk reference DSM-V catalogs can shine some light on this?

In the meantime, I'll work on taking this (possible) scam a step further. Anyone wanna buy a 1/1 of their favorite player with a hole reinforcement variation?

9 comments:

TJ said...

I think that guy has been putting cards in binders wrong.

Spankee said...

Of all the card scams on eBay, I don't mind this one. It's too smart to not like.

Ryan G said...

Hm. I think this is worth watching just to see how stupid people can be.

Cheap Card Collecting said...

and I thought it was hard to make money these days. I think we've solved homelessness for the first few guys to start making their own error cards.

Greg Zakwin said...

If it's not listed in the Fuck Face Database - and it isn't - it's more than likely fake.

http://www.billripken.com/versions/index.html

Ryan G said...

Thanks to Greg I have now spent a significant amount of time looking at dirty images on baseball cards.

kdubya8 said...

I thought I remembered hole punched versions back in the day, but then again they could have been fakes as well. Even if it was a legit variation it would be to easy to fake.

Personally I like TJs hypothesis.

Todd Uncommon said...

The possibilities are endless. Hole punches in the shape of dolphins, moons, stars, and hot dogs should be popping up soon as newly discovered "variations".

Ace1950 said...

I have been collecting errors and variations cards since they started, but in 1989 the Ripken error started a flood. The only way you can get a real hole punched Ripken is if you see one on front or back of a 89" cello pack unopened. YES they do exist but were put out towards the end of run. I have an email from the FLEER Co.listing the corrections made of Ripken card but no run numbers. It is one of the hardest cards to find. I have published error books and one thing I have learned if its opened anything can be pampered with.