Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Heeded Horror Hype

To kick things off, I'd first like to thank anyone who made a suggestion for my pre-Halloween horror viewing. I really want to catch a few flicks that are new to me this season, and you didn't disappoint.
However, before we get to what I will be screening, let me take a few moments to cross a batch of movies off the list that I've already seen, pretty much for the reason that I own them.

When reader (...Joe) made the first comment, I could tell that he really knew his stuff. The new brand of French horror is currently blowing everything else out of the water. Compared to some of these Franco Frighteners, the Saw franchise looks like a heavily edited episode of the Jetsons. (And I'm talking like Elroy-centered episodes, folks.)
One word, though, came to mind at the mention of Martyrs: Ick.
I've already once confided to a friend of mine that Martyrs is probably the one film I've ever seen that, having watched it, made be feel bad about myself as a person. I couldn't shake the post-viewing feeling that I'd done something wrong. I've seen plenty of questionable-ass shit, including a few of those Italian-made cannibal movies. Hell, I own a cast-signed limited edition copy of Fred Vogel's August Underground. Yet, I felt like Martyrs stepped way over the line, and by viewing it I became complicit in a crime against humanity. I don't want to go too much more into the details of the film, but I'll say that I'd be surprised if I ever end up watching it again.

Sorry to start with such a downer. On the lighter side of things, I came to the conclusion that dayf is truly my Southern Gentleman Brother From Another Mother. Out of the five films he mentioned in his recommendation comment, I own four of them. Below are Freaks and the Criterion Collection release of Equinox. Dude mentions an obscure camp horror/sci-fi film with stop-motion animation scenes, and it turns out I've got the best possible DVD of it available. (Unless Criterion put it out on Blu-ray, those bastards! Too many times I have double dipped.)

Dayf also mentioned Suspiria (as did SpastikMooss), which I have on the limited edition 3-disc DVD (with Goblin soundtrack disc), and Manos: The Hands of Fate. Not a month goes by when my brain doesn't pop up with the phrase "Torgo area." (Also included on the MST3K Essentials disc is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It has been far too long since I've popped in this disc.)

Ryan G suggested Night of the Comet. Damn, I already have this one on old-school VHS. The sticker says I got it for a dollar sometime in 2002. Unfortunately, I've never watched it. Double unfortunately, every VCR in my house is broken, so I can't watch it. I really need to remedy that. I have some great tapes that are sitting unwatched, unloved.

SpastikMooss rattled off a long list, some of which have already been mentioned. Here are a few from his list that I also own. Is it possible that that DVD of The Shining has been sitting undisturbed in its case for a decade? Could be. Man, I suck.

It was great to see Collective Troll pipe in by recommending High Tension. This was the one that really kickstarted the French domination of horror a few years ago. I loved, loved, loved it the first time I watched it, but each viewing since has lessened in greatness. I guess that's inevitable with twist ending movies.

Troll also made a comment about the Goya painting in the last post. The name of it is Saturn Devouring His Son. It's an image highly representative of the idea of horror, and the reason I chose it was because this image appeared on the cover of a scholarly book I read while taking a class on horror films in college. It had something to do with the psychology of horror or something like that, but now I can't remember the title. Glad to see Troll appreciating its use on this blog. Now if only I could remember the name of that book...

Okay, as promised, I will now reveal which films I will try to track down and watch during the Halloween season.
Inside (On the list in my head for quite some time, it couldn't possibly be as damaging as Martyrs.)
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Toolbox Murders
Tokyo Gore Police

The verdict is still out on Lake Placid. That one goes in the "We'll See" pile, although I'm inclined to think it might make the list based on one experience I'd had with the film. One time I was hanging out at my friend's neighbor's house where the dad of that family was watching TV. A commercial for the movie came on and he remarked, in a completely deadpan and mellow voice, "Whooooooa, thatisabigalligator."

Thanks, peeps, I can't wait to get started. And prepare for Nightmares on Cardboard IV. October will arrive with your latest assignment.

7 comments:

SpastikMooss said...

Killer Clowns is so fun, and Toolbox Murders is crazy, so I think good choices both. Tokyo Gore Police I still need to finish..there's just so much gore involved...gotta get myself in the mood.

As for Lake Placid...YES YES YES DO IT. It's fun.

dayf said...

You own Equinox! That makes me happy. :) I just have it on tape somewhere.

the sewingmachineguy said...

You scare me...

thewritersjourney said...

Good call on Killer Clowns! I have Toolbox Murders on my shortlist also.

(...Joe) said...

haha Killer Klowns!

Inside isn't quite as brutal as Martyrs, but uhh it's a close one. Just to be forewarned.

PunkRockPaint said...

I is skerred of all these mooviez. But don't fret, I'll set aside my fears to make some cards for the contest.

Doc said...

I left a piece of chewed bubble gum on your pillow...TORGO!