Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Completion: 2009 Topps Unique

I can't remember when I set out to collect this set in any way, shape, or form, but somewhere along the way I hit a point of no return. Last week I received the final card I needed for the 2009 Topps Unique set.

2009 Topps Unique #95 Tim Lincecum Red Parallel (0621/1199)

I believe this is the first time I've built an full parallel set of any kind. I do have all of the Chrome parallels from 2007 Heritage, but there's not one for every card.
Here's how far I was willing to take this set.
200-card base set (including 50 SP rookies, each #/2699)
200-card red parallel set (all #/1199)
20-card Unique Unis insert set
10-card Alone At the Top set
20-card Unparalleled Performances set

And guess what? That makes 450 cards, and 450 is perfectly divisible by 9, so this set fits perfectly in binder pages with no gaps and no one-ninth-filled pages at the end.

Seriously, a card company should figure out how to stop themselves at 99 on those smaller sets. Easy solution: Leave out someone like Brad Hawpe. No one will ever notice.

7 comments:

Ryan G said...

Brad Hawpe's mother would notice, and she'd write an angry letter!

Milwaukee Southpaw said...

That reminds me, I've been meaning to finish that set. I think I'm missing like 3 of the base 150 and have about half the short print rookies....

Mad Guru said...

Too funny. I was going to leave a comment pretending to be Brad Hawpe's mom but Ryan beat me to the punch.

Word Verification: holdopya

You need a belt to holdupya pants.

AdamE said...

Any chance you ended up with a regular version of 156 Michael Bowden? It is the last ergular one I need for my Team Set.

I also need the following Red Parallels:

14 Jon Lester
60 Victor Martinez
87 Jason Bay
108 Dustin Pedroia
121 David Ortiz
144 Mike Lowell
191 Josh Reddick RC
199 Aaron Bates RC

AdamE said...

Oh Yaeh, congrats on the finishing your set(s). I have a hard time full filling parallel team sets, so it is quite an accomplishment to fill an entire parallel set.

Thorzul said...

Sorry, no Michael Bowden, AdamE. Or extra Red Sox parallels. Jason Bay was actually the second-last one I tracked down.

PunkRockPaint said...

I figured out the secret to completing the gold parallel set...










Unique up on it. (Yeah I went there.)