Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Nightmares on Cardboard IV: Non-Medalist #2

The next Nightmares on Cardboard entry I'd like to show off came from Corky from Pack War. What makes this entry great is the boldness exhibited by choosing three icons as the subjects for these cards.

First up, a Devil's Rejects Captain Spaulding card in the style of a 1996 Upper Deck SPx die-cut insert. Great work on choosing one of my favorite horror films from the last ten years, a great improvement on House of 1,000 Corpses. Sig Haig is a scary dude to begin with, and when he starts going off his rocker in these movies, he truly becomes a character you'd never want to find yourself alone with. My only beef with this card is the way the clown Spaulding covers up Sheri Moon Zombie in the "hologram" portion of the card. Sheri is certainly not to everyone's liking, but there's something attractive about her in those movies. She's also good in the Werewolf Women of the SS trailer from Grindhouse.

Here's one from the set this card was based on.

Up next, a custom card for Jackie Earle Haley's Freddy Krueger. I haven't seen the new Elm St. reboot. Any thoughts on this movie?

Finally, we've got a Rorschach custom card. I really dig the style of this one. I was one of those guys who went absolutely gaga for Watchmen. Maybe it was because I was into comics and had actually read the series long before there were movie plans, but I found the film to be one of the best adaptations of a comic source ever. The whole movie just felt meaningful, though friends of mine failed to appreciate it the same way I did. Reactions to Watchmen were tepid, but I think that time will be very kind to the movie and it will eventually achieve classic status.

Thanks for the great entry, Corky, you are a lover of great films.

5 comments:

SpastikMooss said...

Agreed that Devils Rejects was awesome (all my friends in undergrad agreed, everyone else seems to like House more, seemingly because it's very typical of a gorefest). Also agreed I was a bit sad on the cover up of Sheri Moon...but the card set is awesome and it still looks great. Nice entry!

Also I thought of this thing when I was watching Phantasm 2 just now. Wish I had seen it before now because I definitely would've included Reggie's chainsaw scene in my set from last year!

PunkRockPaint said...

Great work!!!

thewritersjourney said...

I'm pretty sure that's Englund, not Haley. I thought the Haley reboot was good, though unnecessary. It added a new dimension to the origin, but didn't really improve on the story. Friday the 13th, on the other hand, was a terrible reboot. Should have never been made.

dayf said...

The cards are great (especially Rorschach!) but it saddens me that when I do a Google image search of Captain Spaulding, I see exactly ONE picture of Groucho Marx.

Corky said...

Thanks for the oppurtunity to work on some horror cards, I really look forward to your Nightmares on Cardboard contest each year. I didn't do as well as last years Second Place tie but still had some fun.

I think I am going to do so more work on the Devil's Rejects and make it a three card set.

@the writersjourney, the Freddy image on the card is Jackie Earle Haley, I used promotional material from the re-boot to create the card.