Sunday, November 6, 2011

Nightmares on Cardboard IV: Non-Medalist #4

Yes, this is going more slowly that I had envisioned, but here is the next, and final, non-medalist from Nightmares on Cardboard IV. This outstanding entry is from Jeff at Cardboard Catastrophes.

2004 Fleer Greats of the Game #146 The Gill-Man


The execution with this card is, as Judge Smails would say, "Top notch, top notch!" I'll let Jeff explain some of his thinking behind this card in his own words:

Have to say I love the incorporation of the background design into the overall card. Creature has always been a favorite of mine, since there is an independent theatre within walking distance of my home that regularly screens it in its original 3D format as part of a midnight feature.
I even own an original painting I had commissioned by an artist friend of ours depicting the Gill-Man and his female captive. One of my wife's and my first dates was to attend one of these midnight showings. So yeah, I suppose you could say the movie has a special place in my heart. Too bad this wasn't an in-hand entry, it might have taken home the top prize

Thanks for playing, Jeff. Excellent work!

4 comments:

carlsonjok said...

Thanks. I'd be interested to have a tutorial about how other folks turned their designs into actual cards. I have a photo printer, but have no earthly idea how to make a card I had a blast making this and would love to know how to execute it for real.

Spankee said...

That is a great card!

PunkRockPaint said...

Awesome card!

SpastikMooss said...

Sweet card! I especially like how the creature pops against the background.

And nice painting too!