Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Top Five Pulls of 2011: #1

For the second consecutive year, my top pull was an entire box of cards. And again, it was a box of 2003 Topps Gallery Hall of Fame. Just an outstanding, outstanding product. It's hard to say which was better, this year's or last year's. It might come down to personal preference, but I think the 2011 edition will pull ahead slightly. Let's take a look at the hits.

#AR-JT Joe Tinker ARTifact (Game-Used Bat)
It's hard to believe, sometimes, that this type of stuff is even around at all. The piece of bat in the card must be close to 100 years old, if not more. If I was going for a set of cards that included a relic from each Hall-of-Famer, this would be a nice addition.

#12 Roberto Clemente Artist's Proof (Yellow Jersey Variant)
With Artist's Proof and the variant cards coming at one-per-pack, the combination of the two only appear once in each box. I can't think of a better subject to get. While most of the variations to the painting are subtle, Celemente's picture offers a stark contrast to his more common white uniform.

Currency Connection #CC-LG Lou Gehrig (w/1938 Buffalo Nickel)
Easily, one of the best you could get for your one-per-box coin card. Now I'd still like a Ruth or a Mays.

And here it is, the monster of the box, the General Sherman that didn't get away this time.
#ARA-OC Orlando Cepeda ARTifact (AUTO Game-Used Bat)
The autographs in this product are hard to come by, definitely not guaranteed in a box. Cepeda the person is a great guy, a humanitarian, and I'm proud to own a card with his signature on it.

So, whaddya say... should I buy another box in 2012?

5 comments:

dayf said...

Hell yeah, buy another box. I wanna buy a box too now and I've forsaken wax.

Fuji said...

Wow... one box produced all three of these hits? Simply amazing. I'm a huge fan of Topps Gallery (actually most products with athletes featured on art).

If I had to choose, I'd probably enjoy the 2010 box more... based simply on the Jackie Robinson card. But both boxes are amazing.

And If I had your luck, I would most definitely pick up another box.

Tom said...

That Joe Tinker card is really sweet. I'm a little Cub biased though.

Michael said...

Wow, those are some great pulls! Yeah, I would definitely buy another box!

Play at the Plate said...

Congrats on another nice box!