Monday, January 30, 2012

Who Wants to Be on Thorzul's Podcast?

I'm excited to announce that I'll be going ahead with an idea I've been kicking around for a few months, adding a regular podcast to this blog. I've been listening to a few good non-card podcasts, and I've gotten a sense of what can make one great.

The format will be called "Card Wars." I will act as moderator/umpire/judge for the duration of the podcast, a "nine-inning" contest pitting two collectors and their cards against each other. For each inning of the contest, the competitors will need to select a card for battle according to criteria which I will establish before the event. For example, the first inning of a contest might be "1981 Donruss." Each competitor will then have to select a card from the set, which they will then tout against their opponent. Over the course of each clash, I will keep score and determine a winner. The criteria determining which cards beat other cards will be completely up to the whims of the judge, and each victor will be invited to return to defend his or her title on the following podcast.

Here's where you, dear readers, can participate. I'm fairly sure I have the first competitor locked up, but I'm appealing to the masses for a challenger. If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, leave a comment expressing such a desire. Consider this the essay portion of your application, but please limit it to 100 words or less. And make sure I have some way to get ahold of you, should you be selected.

Participants in the podcast must have a working Skype account (audio only), a card collection sizable enough to satisfy most reasonable requests, and the ability to send me scans (or photographs) of cards. I'm aiming for a weekend night to produce this, probably in the area of February 10-12 somewhere. I will contact the commenter of my choice, but don't get sad if you don't hear from me this first time... there will be plenty of opportunities to take part.

3 comments:

FanOfReds said...

I don't have skype so that rules me out but this sounds like a really amusing (and fun) idea. Can't wait to see it in action.

Dan said...

I would like to do this, but I can't block out time until after Feb 20th...

The Diamond King said...

I might be able to be in on this if you still need someone. I'll have to get Skype up and running though. When are you thinking?

I am somewhat busy, but I'd love to do this.