Thursday, February 23, 2012

Don't Bring Me Down (Bruce?)

Okay, so apparently that's a misheard lyric, but it doesn't change what happened recently. I've just come off a tear where I keep hitting the same player when opening packs of cards. The culprit: Jay Bruce.
First, I ended up with his Marquee patch card from the February break.

After that, I opened for myself a cheap jumbo box of 2005 Topps Updates & Highlights. My main goal here, along with building the whole set, was to get two Ryan Braun Draft Pick cards. This ended up happening, and I happily placed the extra one into my Braun binder. There are a lot of great early cards of stars in this set, including Matt Kemp and Felix Hernandez. One of the second-tier rookies that you can find is Jay Bruce. In this box, I happened to find doubles of his base card, as well as one of his gold parallels.

2009 UD O-Pee-Chee is a set that has recently caught my fancy, so I picked up a box of that, too. Halfway through the box, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a black border mini parallel of Jay Bruce. These come one-per-hobby box. In a 600-card set, pulling any specific player is fairly difficult. I've paired him up with one of my other doubles, Trevor Hoffman, for size evidence.

Here's to hoping a similar phenomenon happens to you someday soon, but with a player with better ties to your collecting tastes.

3 comments:

Potch said...

Ahhh, I should be so lucky!

the sewingmachineguy said...

Yeah, that O-Pee-Chee set is a nice throwback to a bygone era.
I have to go dig, but I think I pulled a black Yvgeny Malkin card from a box of that stuff.

topher (Crackin Wax/Varsity Trading Cards) said...

Yeah, I always thought it was "Bruce," too. Apparently it's "groose?" Only Jeff Lynne knows for sure.