Monday, February 13, 2012

PODCAST: Card Wars Episode 1

At last, I found the time to take the raw footage from last night and expose the world to it. For the inaugural Card Wars podcast, I solicited the help of dayf from Cardboard Junkie and Matt from 26 Cent Summer. Honestly, the best part about doing this was being able to take a couple hours out of the day and sit around talking cards. If I receive as much of an education during the forthcoming podcasts as I did from this one, it's going to be some time well spent.

So here are the links to the podcasts. Due to one slight technical difficulty, the episode is divided into two separate podcasts. I haven't tried to listen to them yet through my blog, but it looks like you can stay on this page and listen, or, if you prefer, download it and then listen to it later on your favorite digital device. Personally, I've found myself listening to a couple of different podcasts during long car trips.

PART 1

PART 2


Below are the images each contestant sent me, in case you'd like to have a visual aid as you listen. After you're done, I'd appreciate any feedback you have. And no, I'm not going to tell you who wins... you'll have to listen to find out for yourself.

1st Inning: 1981 Topps
Matt

dayf


2nd Inning: Shiny
Matt

dayf


3rd Inning: A Kansas City Royal
Matt

dayf


4th Inning: 1988-1991 Score
Matt

dayf



5th Inning: Team Card
Matt

dayf

6th Inning: Cal Ripken, Jr.
Matt

dayf


7th Inning: Any 1960s Topps Card
Matt

dayf


8th Inning: Non-Sport Card
Matt

dayf


9th Inning: Mustache!
Matt

dayf



This must be noted: When finding myself thinking about recording this podcast the following day, a realization hit me regarding Hal McRae's mustache. His face could double as one of those wooden labyrinth games. Just grab hold of the knobs (an ear and the chin) and try to roll that little metal ball into the gaping maw. Challenging, yes, but rewarding to the patient and steady.

8 comments:

Kev said...

great pictures - really nice format/setup! what did you use to decide the categories? did the "players" know beforehand?

i can't wait to listen to the podcast.

WONDERFUL idea, thorzul!

FanOfReds said...

Good stuff! I listened to the entire podcast while writing my New Course Proposal for next semester...very interesting (but if my course doesn't get approved I'm blaming you guys).

night owl said...

Well, I'm not getting a blog post done because I listened to the entire thing. But it did give me a post idea, so I can call it research.

Very interesting!

Cory said...

That was fun to listen to. Thanks.

I love that Justice DK.

I had no idea Donruss made the big cards in 1983 too.

Chris Harris said...

Apparently, Bob Bonner is a missionary in Zambia and Jeff Schneider is a professor at Carnegie Mellon.

Spiegel83 said...

This was a fun listen. I hope this is a running series here.

GCA said...

Great listen. Looking forward to the next one.
I'd be up for doing one myself as well. Have a similar size collecting history as these guys.

Tunguska said...

Enjoying the podcast.

The player thrown out at first base was Michael Taylor of the A's by Frenchy of dayf's Braves.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18939359