Saturday, March 10, 2012

Guys From the Bucket #1

A few months ago, I visited my parents at their house and ended up coming home with a bunch of stuff they made me retrieve from the rafters of their garage. See, they saved just about all of the important books and toys from my childhood and from that of my siblings. I actually have much less stuff there than my brother and sister do, but being the oldest gives me first dibs. They babysit my daughter (now seven months old, can you believe it) a couple of days a week, and they wanted to use some of the stuff with Harper that they used with us. No problem there, except she's obviously not ready for some of the advanced toys yet. Which serves as the reasoning behind this post.

If your family was anything like mine, you didn't have much money, so discarded food packaging got recycled as toy storage items. The majority of the action figures my brother and I owned were kept in gallon-sized ice cream buckets. They came with sturdy wire handles back then, and they fit nicely on the shelving units that were just wood planks laid across cinder blocks. And we didn't call them "action figures" back then, they were "guys." As in, "Pick up your guys before your dad gets home and trips over them." "Do you wanna play guys?" was a daily invitation then.

Here's the first one I pulled from a bucket.
Name: Buzz Off
Affiliation: Masters of the Universe
Missing Pieces: Bee-eye helmet, battle axe


I remember for a fact that my Uncle Bob and Aunt Mary got me this for Christmas one year. This was one of the more "out there" characters in the series, maybe part of the second or third wave of figures. I don't remember him from the TV series, but apparently we did show up in later episodes a couple of times.
Buzz Off's main attack when playing "guys" was to slap other combatants around with his wings. In case you're wondering, they do detatch with some effort, but then he just looks naked. If I had to give away all of my MOTU figures back then, this would have been one of the last to go. Good times.

8 comments:

Ben said...

I have the bee guy somewhere in my parent's attic.

The Masters of the Universe guy I didn't have, and even at four or five years old, didn't want to have, was the He-Man with the rotating thingy in his chest. That one seemed wrong to me.

I had the real He-Man and the special Prince Adam that you had to send away in the mail for.... I think. I have one guy that was a mail in thing. It may have been Clark Kent though.

SpastikMooss said...

Lolol...we definitely had some dog food buckets that held our "guys." That and old baby wipes containers...they were a nice size especially for smaller GI Joes and stuff.

Thorzul said...

Ben, that was Battle Armor He-Man. I had the Battle Armor Skeletor, the first MOTU figure I ever owned.

Matt said...

I had the Masters of the Universe Lunch Box but never had any figures. Just got done getting out the box of GI Joe's and Star Wars figures. I think they are about to find a new home via eBay so that I can find some $$$ for my cards.

Retrofan said...

I have the Battle armour He-Man, and the large cat he rode, also a cool looking motorbike thing with eyes. I was more of a Ghostbusters, TMNT and Star Wars POTFII kid though. I have all that stuff in cardboard boxes in the basement. I loved that stuff to death.

shoeboxlegends said...

Can't wait to see more of these. I think I had most of the MOTU figures, along with Castle Grayskull and this red vehicle with a large rock attached to an arm that would smash down in front of the car's path at the push of a button...

Tony Brown said...

Excited for the contents of those buckets. Never noticed before how impossibly small Buzz Off's waist is. Definitely taking some PED's.

stoneski said...

This post is awesome, it brings back some great memories, Buzz Off was one of many of these guys that I used to have. Battle Armor Skeletor was also my first ever MOTU figure.