Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rainy Day Trip to the Local Card Shop

The weather outside was miserable, like getting caught under a leaky pipe in an unfinished basement. Inside the card shop, though, a baseball game from a warmer climate was on TV, and the quarter boxes were out in full force.

I went with a list of supplies I needed. After all, you can never be too careful about your infrastructure when it comes to cards. A 5,000-count box for my random Brewers had become necessary, as well as a 300-count box for a nearly finished set that's been sitting as a stack for a couple of years on top of my comic book boxes. Also, a couple of thick Ultra Pro cases for some Yount Sweet Spot cards that have been sitting naked for quite a while. But that's not the fun stuff. Let's hit the dollar boxes first.

1961 Topps #223 Bob Scheffing
Corners... great. Centering... atrocious. The left side of this card needs to be living in a tent in a public square holding a sign that reads, "I am the 99%." Love it anyway.

1972 Topps #375 Reggie Cleveland
This was an "I guess so" purchase. Nothing else really grabbed me by my hoodie strings today. I almost nabbed an off-register Angels team card from 1970, but the back had a tape rip, so I put it back.


Quarter Boxes
Some 2011 Topps Inserts
Without a want list, I took a gamble on some inserts I might have needed. The Castro and Reynolds I did need, but not the Perez or Johnson. 50% isn't too bad for guesswork.

Some 2010 Topps Chrome Blue Refractors
For a quarter apiece, I figured I could flip or trade these. Let me know, Sox fans. (And never mind, Astros fans. Wait, who am I talking to? Astros fans never do anything on this blog, especially join group breaks.)

Some Odds and Ends
The Chipper is a cool looking card and a great idea for an insert, and I have always liked that shrunken Puckett photo and had to have the gold version.

Did I leave something out? Yes, perhaps I did. The 2010 Upper Deck set has grown on me as of late. The Biography insert set is a better executed idea than the meaningless Documentary set from 2008. The feeling I get when I look at 2010 Upper Deck is a bit haunting, though. I'm reminded of a photo essay I read on NileGuide about abandoned theme parks around the world. The unfinished nature of the set is spooky, especially since players UD was saving for series 2 never got a card, almost like they had died. Prince Fielder, for instance, has no base card in the set, but he does appear on a number of team cards and inserts.

You can almost hear the creaking... of 2010 Upper Deck. Might the series 2 cards have ended up in a New Mexico landfill somewhere?

1 comment:

SpastikMooss said...

I was obsessed with "Standing But Not Operating" theme parks for a while in college. We actually even made a student film about them starring a local park that had been abandoned named Chippewa Lake Park. Got to interview a bunch of locals and trespass all over the old park ogling the once awesome/now crumbling rides. You haven't lived til you've seen a tree growing through a roller coaster.