Friday, August 17, 2012

2013 Topps??? PFFFFFFT!

As mentioned previously, the intent of this blog is to never, ever break baseball card news of any sort. I'll leave the pontificating, waxing, ranting, and raving to others, and I'll write about something no one has given a moment's notice in several years.

Honestly, I can't believe someone hasn't yet made this connection.

Yes, the design of 2008 Topps will heretofore be known as "The TGS With Tracy Jordan Set." If you've never watched 30 Rock, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about. However, if you've been an avid viewer, especially during the first couple of seasons, this might make sense. The sketch comedy show-within-a-show on 30 Rock was originally called The Girlie Show, headed up by Liz Lemon (Tina Fey). When Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) starts retooling the show by bringing in an on-the-downside-of-his-career Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan) as its new star, the name of the show changes as well to TGS With Tracy Jordan.

Throughout the series, viewers can catch glimpses of the TGS logo around the NBC studios. Before the name switch, I believe you could even see The Girlie Show signage on the show.

To me, the serif font within a circle is pretty close to the 2008 Topps design. The font Topps chose looks a little more antiquated than TGS, and the new design looks like the colored circles are supposed to extend vertically into a somewhat more oval shape, but for my money, it's a pretty good match.

3 comments:

dayf said...

I believe you have something here...
That being said every single 2008 Topps card should be loaded onto a rocket and shot into the sun.

Reds Card Collector said...

Yeah, don't launch them into the sun, Topps might have something similar to the Nuclear Man in Superman 4 come back to earth!

Jeremy said...

This may be the final reason that makes me want to collect the 08 set. I used to make fun of it, but now it's sort of growing on me. I never noticed the connection, but I can see it now. Nice work.