Sunday, December 2, 2012

2012 Card-vent Calendar: December 2

December 2, 2012:
1991 Topps Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II #73 "This Better Work!"
Cool. If you were like me, you were a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan. If 1991 was the wheelhouse of the franchise, I was on the cusp of being just a little too old to be a fan of those radical dudes. You wouldn't want to be caught playing with the action figures, but you could still admire the diversity of the later waves of toys. I don't think I saw this sequel in the theatre, so it's possible that I've never seen it at all. What I did or didn't experience is not at issue here, as there are more pressing matters to discuss.

Much of TMNT fandom boiled down to one thing: Were you a Leonardo man or a Michaelangelo man? These two always seemed to be in a neck-and-neck race for the hearts of the nation's ten-year-olds, and which side you happened to be on said a lot about you. Some people claimed to be Donatello fans, citing his intellectual superiority, but those are the folks who grew up to be hipsters and have therefore invalidated their opinions. And Raphael? Good luck finding someone who will admit to choosing him first in the draft.

From the beginning, I've been a Michaelangelo man. He had the attitude and the comic relief, but most importantly, he had the weapon. Although Leonardo was the group's de facto leader, Mike rocked the nunchuks. The striking distance of the nunchaku is roughly equivalent to Leo's katanas, but they were so much cooler and more exotic. Sure, in the first wave of action figures, those little brown chucks were tethered together with light bulb filament, so breakage was imminent. But the playtime you squeezed out of Mikey, whose love of pizza was unequaled within his mutated quartet, was that much more intense.
So who was/is your favorite Ninja Turtle?

2 comments:

Backstop Cards said...

I was usually torn between Michelangelo and Donatello. Mikey was funny and he had the coolest weapon, but Donatello always made cool stuff. Plus, there's something to be said for a guy who brings a stick to a knife fight. The edge goes to "Party Dude", because orange is waaaaaay better than purple.

Even as a kid, people who preferred Leonardo bugged me.

Wilson said...

It was usually Donatello for me, and I didn't grow up to be a hipster, I promise. I wasn't a leader, wasn't a zany kid, didn't have a temper, but I was considered one of the smart kids. Now if I was choosing on weapon, Leonardo would have won hands down.