Saturday, February 2, 2013

Grade Thorzul's Only Pack of 2013 Topps This Year

So we had to go to Target this afternoon for about seventeen types of diaper rash medication. During the pharmacy wait, I hit up the card aisle to check out the 2013 gravity feeders. I almost got a pack of WWE Heritage, but I realized I had to continue to increase my daughter's pack stash, so I picked up a pack for me and one for her. Here's mine.

29 Adrian Beltre
233 Edwin Jackson
47 Howie Kendrick
125 Matt Holliday Bullshit Infield Fly Rule Wild Card
91 Alfredo Aceves (Alfredo just got caught by the Village People "Macho Man Cam," brought to you by Planter's nuts.)
231 Melky Mesa
268 David Lough
CD-11 Jacob Turner Chasing the Dream
57 Mark Lowe
220 Octavio Dotel
106 Drew Stubbs
209 David DeJesus (At first I thought this might be one of those Out of Bounds variations I read about on BBCP prior to opening this pack, but it's just a regular base card. Great photo, though, and it made me think about last year's excellent Andre-Dawson-emerges-from-the-ivy commercial.)
What grade would you give this pack? For me, an easy D. Really blah player selection, a crummy insert, and no Brewers or superstars. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I should have saved the money to get a couple cards from my want list. Hopefully Harper's will contain untold riches whenever she decides to open it.

6 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I like David DeJesus but it's probably the only card in your pack that I would really want. 3 bucks is a little steep for just that. In such a small sample there's a good chance you'll be disappointed. Better luck next time.

Spankee said...

I'd give it a C just for reminding you of the Dawson commercial.

"Caught it! Woo!"

Paul said...

C- on the strength of the DeJesus card.

P-town Tom said...

I'd go B-. Inserts were blah, but as a Cub fan, you snagged that sweet DeJesus and the newly acquired Edwin Jackson.

Thorzul said...

By the way, Target retail packs are $1.99 this year, not like that oddball price last year.

Crackin Wax said...

I swear, that DeJesus card must have had the highest print run. I busted a case and a blaster and I'm pretty sure I pulled that card in each pack. lol