Sunday, June 9, 2013

June 2013 Card Show Report: Part I

This is probably the shortest amount of time between two card shows I've gone to, but I got some good deals last time and decided to hit up the Gonzaga show once again. Sunday Mass was starting at 10:00 for many in the same parking lot, but not this heathen. Let's see some of the newer stuff I got.

2009 Bowman #225 Mat Gamel AUTO Blue Parallel (058/500)

I kinda sorta collect Mat Gamel cards, and this was one I didn't have and could justify paying five bucks for. Things never really got going for him with the Brewers, and tearing the mess out of his ACL for the second time in two years sure ain't helping things any. Who knows if he'll ever play another MLB game? I hope that if he does, it's for the Brewers and no one else. He has potential to be a guy I could supercollect quite cheaply.

2011 Topps Diamond Duos #DD-25 Mark Teixeira / Adrian Gonzalez

I went into this show senza la wantlista, focusing more on fun and desire than pure need. However, seeing this in a dime box, I picked it up on the off chance that I needed it. Turns out I did, and it was the last DD card in series 2 that I needed. By the way, Topps sure fucked up this insert on the numbering. Series 1 Diamond Duos are numbered DD-XX, with the XX being replaced with the first letters of the duo's last names. On series 2 the system switches to numbers. Then on the update series, the exact same numbers as series 2 are repeated. This means that there is no way to tell, other than from a Topps-supplied checklist, or the hobby's most valuable resource, BaseballCardPedia, which run of cards any randomly chosen card belongs in. The short way of stating the above information: Topps double numbered this insert in two different series.

2002 Topps East Meets West Lot

Another dime box find, I decided to grab all of these I found. This was an insert from 2002 Topps. There are eight cards in the set, and now I have seven of them.

Coming soon: Part II - Things Get Vintagey

No comments: