Friday, June 21, 2013

Old Timey

The other day we took the kids to visit Grandma and Grandpa on the other side of town. At one point, my mom broke out a little photo album full of old pictures from her side of the family. Many of these were ones I had seen before, but one in particular caught my eye. This is a picture of my mom's maternal grandfather, my great-grandfather.

I just love the look of this photo. The only thing that could have made it better is if this guy has a turn-of-the-century mustache. The St. L. on the shirt could mean anything, most likely not St. Louis. The frame gives me the impression of this being an old Turkey Red cabinet card. I wonder how close great-grandpop got to playing pro ball. We don't have too much info to go on, but it's just nice to get a glimpse of the olden days.

2 comments:

Spankee said...

That's fantastic. My wife's great-grandfather played football for Virginia Tech in 1903 and 1904. We have some of the team pictures in books. You can't beat old timey sports photos.

AdamE said...

Before he quit blogging Beardy was doing allot of barnstorming baseball researching. Maybe you should send him an email and see if he ever bumped into your Great-Great-Grandpa's name.