Monday, August 12, 2013

Thorzul's $5.00 Challenge: Time to Vote

Over the weekend I received the final cards submitted for the $5.00 Challenge. In case you do not recall, I challenged readers to throw themselves into the hands of fate (minus Torgo, of course) and bid on a random eBay auction with a five dollar price limit. Today we get to see the hand random chance dealt us.

In no particular order, here are the submissions.

Contestant: -David
Cards: Lot of 48 Josh Hamilton Cards

Large player lots can be hit-or-miss on eBay, but I think this one is a winner. Early Rays cards, inserts, all kinds of good stuff.

Contestant: BS
Cards: Lot of 25 Mo Vaughn Cards

BS decided to submit five separate entries in this contest. I love the enthusiasm and the spirit of competition from BS!

Contestant: BS
Card: 2008 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Sweet Swatch B.J. Upton Jersey


Contestant: BS
Card: 2011 Gypsy Queen Copper Frame Bob Gibson #342/999


Contestant: BS
Cards: 2005 Topps Melky Cabrera RC + 2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy Game #3081: Roger Maris


Contestant: BS
Card: Baseball Immortals Bob Gibson

Weird to randomly get two different Gibsons.

Contestant: Thorzul
Card: 2000 Skybox Skylines Sammy Sosa

Ugh, it just killed me forcing myself to buy this card. Seeing it for $0.70 on COMC after I paid $3.95 for it was just rubbing salt into the wound. Some seller had his day made, though.

Contestant: Chris Rasmussen
Card: 1992 Leaf Don Mattingly

Base card from the junkwax era? Ouch.

Contestant: Commishbob
Card: 2013 Topps Museum Collection Lou Brock (334/424)

Cool card of a cool cat.

Contestant: Zpop
Card: 2013 Topps Cut to the Chase Die-cut Derek Jeter


Contestant: Spankee
Card: 1973 Topps Bill North

Hey guys, you missed the Chicago jersey on your airbrush job.

Contestant: P-Town Tom
Card: 1968 Topps Jack Hiatt

This looks like the type of guy the '60s counterculture was trying to balance out.

Contestant: jacobmrley
Card: 2007 Upper Deck Artifacts Apparel Jim Thome (033/130)

A little bent over the years. This looks to be the Limited Edition; the regular jersey is numbered to 199.

Okay, there you have it. Look these cards over carefully, and vote for who got the best random item and who got skunked with the worst. This was a lot of fun, perhaps I'll try it again later this year.

5 comments:

Fuji said...

Best card: 73T Bill North
Not the best card: 1992 Leaf Don Mattingly

Chris said...

I really thought hard about pretending I hadn't seen the Mattingly card, but the spirit of the game forbade it.

You have to admit it is visually interesting, what with all the man-crotch, mullet, and mustache on display.

And this card is famous. It was featured over on the Dime Boxes blog a week or so ago.

I would be happy to win either the best or the worst card poll, so long as I am a winner.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go with the lot of Hamilton's for the best. At just a little over 10 cents per card, David's getting great value there. Even if you're not a fan of Hamilton, there's some combo cards in there with multiple players that you might have an interest in. If you wanted to flip them, you could easily split this pile into multiple lots and probably get at least twice what you paid. We're talking big profit margins here! Possibly in the high single digits. Just make sure you diversify your bonds when investing all of those riches.

For the worst, I'm going with the Sosa. And for the record, there was a lot to choose from here, as I think we all got pretty skunked with the exceptions of the Hamiltons and the Jeter (which is a card of a very in-demand player from a neat sub-set, and if I didn't already have it, would have paid at least $5 for it, so $3.60 seems like a bargain to me. But then again, I'm an obvious sucker). Regardless, I'm going with the Sosa because paying $3.95 for a relatively boring card of a tainted player made by a long forgotten card company has to suck. My condolences to you, Thorzul.

And despite my incredibly average five lots of cards that are neither noticeably good nor bad, I will be happy to participate with another five entries next time around. Hopefully the promise of more cards in the pot will create a larger participation rate later this year.

BS

--David said...

Best: Hamilton Lot, mainly because I couldn't believe I was getting 48 cards with shipping for 5 bucks. Then, some of them were pretty nice. I considered keeping a few, but that would have killed the spirit of the game.

Worst: Mattingly. Junk card showing off his junk. That's just not right.

Al Kawamoto said...

Best--Hamilton
Worst--Mattingly