Monday, September 9, 2013

Get Rid of Your Junk Wax and Stickies (to Help the Children)

I'd like to make a quick request of anyone reading this. As you probably know, the school year is now underway. I gave a nice group of third graders in a jam-packed classroom without air conditioning. I'm trying something new this year, and I'm going with a baseball theme for the groups my students sit in. Last week I had them pick MLB teams to name their "teams." The following teams were chosen:

Brewers (Of course...)
Cubs
Tigers
Yankees
Dodgers

I'd like to be able to reward them, so I'll be stockpiling bunches of cards from these teams to use as incentives and prizes. But I could always use more.

If you have any junk from any of these teams lying around, I'd be happy to accept it. Stickers would also be greatly appreciated!!!

If you would care to make a donation and you need my address, contact me at: bill13boehm at yahoo.com

Thanks in advance to anyone who will be helping out my class.

6 comments:

Backstop Cards said...

Great idea! Did something similar w my 5th graders the last few yrs, but got moved to first this year. I love em, but they're distracted enough as it is.

the sewingmachineguy said...

Hey Dude,
Hit me with an addy. I still have shit loads of Tigers to unload.
Peace, the sewingmachineguy

Fuji said...

Great idea... I just unloaded two 3500 ct. boxes to my fifth grade summer school students. I just threw them in little grab bags. Anyways... might have to use this idea for the next year's group.

Best of luck... your students are totally lucky to have a teacher who uses baseball cards in the classroom.

Backstop Cards - I think I have an old handout from when I taught fifth grade that incorporates the use of baseball cards (can be modified to use any type of sports card). Anyways... it's a math handout that dealt with fractions. Ex. What fraction of the cards from your pack were New York Yankees? What fraction of the cards in your pack were pitchers? If I remember correctly, it utilized graphing too. Hit me up if you're interested and I can email you a copy.

Wrigley Wax said...

Bill,
Sorry I can't help...I give Tigers and Cubs cards to my class. For what its worth, the girls in my class didn't care too much about any of the cards except for the chrome cards.....they liked them because they were "sparkly"....these are 3rd and 4th grade girls.

GCA said...

I have some 90's stuff I can sift through to get them some. Usually have a lot of the decent stars in them too. Email address to QAPLAGCA at yahoo

D a V e said...

I have a crapload of 2013 Topps for you Bill, send me your addy again.

dave@lepek.net