When the roman numerals for the Super Bowl were VII, it was the lowest-scoring affair in history. Hopefully this edition of Trade Me Anything will see participation records fall. You guys probably know the deal by now: I buy a current box of Topps Update, I grab the base cards and a few inserts that tickle my fancy, and I offer up the rest of the box in exchange for literally anything you want to send.
I think that this box of Update was actually better than the last couple of years. There were no doubles of base cards, which will make it easier to finish the set. Some of the inserts were okay and some were kinda busted. I even ended up with a couple of cards that might make my year-end Top Pulls list. Before we get to the offerings, let's look at what I'll be keeping.
#US16 Bo Jackson SP
This one actually came out of the first pack in the box. Bo is just one of those guys whose cards I never let go. I even still remember where I was when he wowed the sports world in that 1989 All-Star Game. My family was visiting friends in Fargo, ND. How's that for randomness?
Chasing History #CH-122 Roberto Clemente
Each October my class gets to read a Roberto Clemente story in their reading books. I was able to show off some of my Clemente cards, and the kids thought they were pretty cool. This one will come in handy a year from now.
#US313 Mariano Rivera Gold Parallel (0866/2013)
Not a Yankees fan, nor a hater, but I think it's fair to say that that was a truly special moment during this year's All-Star Game.
Alright, enough with that riff-raff, start scrambling on the ground as soon as I bust this piñata. Here are the guidelines (copied and pasted like they are every year) and the available cards.
1. Check out the list of available cards below. Select one (or a couple) you want. Just remember, the more you claim, the better your trade material should be.
2. Send me an email with your choice of card at email@example.com
Please don't leave a request comment on the blog. This just confuses people, so don't do it, it will just be deleted and will not count.
3. I will reply to you as to the card's availability. First come, first serve. I will include my mailing address.
4. When I confirm the card of your choice, pick out one or more of your own cards or anything else you want to send me. A few guidelines about what you can't send: Nothing that should really be in the garbage, nothing perishable, and nothing illegal. (Notice I didn't say nothing immoral.) I've got a want list you could check out, too!
5. Send me whatever is was you picked out. Don't tell me what it is before you send it, I'd like to have it be a surprise! Include a SASE or you won't be getting your card.
6. When I receive your item, I will take a picture of the trade materials and post the happy couple on my blog, and then I will send you the card.
Okay, now that that's out of the way, here's what's up for grabs. Cards in BOLD have already been claimed.
9 Robinson Cano (Yankees) - Jordan
18 Justin Verlander (Tigers) - Roger
26 Mariano Rivera (Yankees) - Jordan
29 Mike Schmidt (Phillies) - Jordan
37 David Ortiz (Red Sox) - Shane/Shoebox Legends
39 Giancarlo Stanton (Marlins) - Zpop
40 Nomar Garciaparra (Red Sox) - Shane/Shoebox Legends
44 Wil Myers (Rays) - dayf
47 Don Mattingly (Yankees) - Kyle/Nolan's Dugout
Sparkly Green Parallels
15 DJ LeMahieu (Rockies)
45 Joey Terdoslavich (Braves) - dayf
176 Matt Lindstrom (White Sox) - Marcus/Backstop Cards
177 David Ortiz (Red Sox) - Shane/Shoebox Legends
268 Joey Votto (Reds) - Jason/The Writer's Journey
293 Robinson Cano (Yankees) - Jordan
Gold Parallels (#/2013)
74 Kyle Blanks (Padres) - Marcus/Backstop Cards
154 Kyle Gibson (Twins) - Jim/gcrl
193 Max Scherzer (Tigers) - Roger
209 Anthony Swarzak (Twins) - Jim/gcrl
321 Grant Green (Angels)
1 Huyn-Jin Ryu / Sandy Koufax (Dodgers) - commishbob
3 Manny Machado / Cal Ripken, Jr. (Orioles) - commishbob
8 Nolan Ryan / Yu Darvish (Rangers) - Kyle/Nolan's Dugout
10 Jose Fernandez / Giancarlo Stanton (Marlins)
102 Reggie Jackson (A's) - dayf
106 Edwin Encarnacion (Blue Jays) - Zpop
109 Jurickson Profar (Rangers) - Zpop
113 Ozzie Smith (Cardinals) - Kyle/Nolan's Dugout
124 Joey Votto (Reds) - Jason/The Writer's Journey
133 Dustin Pedroia (Red Sox) - Kyle/Nolan's Dugout
136 Zack Wheeler (Mets) - Zpop
148 Manny Machado (Orioles) - Kevin
Making Their Mark
29 Marcell Ozuna (Marlins)
31 Mike Zunino (Mariners)
36 Carlos Martinez (Cardinals) - Kerry
37 Matt Adams (Cardinals) - Kerry
44 Jedd Gyorko (Padres)
45 Evan Gattis (Braves) - dayf
3 George Brett (Royals) - Kyle/Nolan's Dugout
8 Derek Jeter (Yankees) - Kyle/Nolan's Dugout
10 Bob Gibson (Cardinals) - Kevin
12 Deion Sanders (Braves) - dayf
15 Evan Longoria (Rays)