Friday, January 10, 2014

Top Pulls of 2013: #1

Here it is, folks.

Card: 2013 Topps 75th Anniversary Richard Kiel AUTO

From: Hobby box

Why I Like It:
Richard Kiel and I have an interesting, if one-sided, history. Aside from having seen Kiel in a number of offbeat roles in random movies, he turned up in a prominent position in one of the other realms in which I collect. I've been collecting issues of Video Watchdog on and off for the past ten years or so, and Richard Kiel popped up on the cover of issue #97 just a few months before the magazine went all-color and switched the cover design to a more modern widescreen television.

There's also this restaurant/bar in Milwaukee called The Safe House. It's sort of tucked away off an alley downtown, it has a spy theme, and you have to know the secret password to get in. If you don't know the password, you have to do some sort of stunt (like dancing like a chicken or doing pushups) right there in the foyer in order to gain admittance. The rest of the patrons already in the bar can see your antics played on closed-circuit television, so there's definitely an upside to knowing the password. Anyways, there are several sections to the main dining area, all of which are completely plastered with James Bond posters and gadgets and anything remotely related to the spy genre. In one lonely hallway hangs a small autographed photo of one Richard Kiel. My first time there I made sure to get my picture taken in front of it. That picture even made it into my wedding slideshow. So yeah, I was more than a little happy to get this in my box of Topps 75th. As I stated earlier, I didn't open much wax this year, and this is hardly the most valuable card I've ever pulled, but it's a special one to be sure.

No comments: