Friday, January 2, 2015

Top Pulls of 2014: #4

Card:
2014 Topps Opening Day #176 Yovani Gallardo Blue Foil Parallel (1263/2014)

From: Retail Blaster

Why I Like It:
I'm a Gallardo collector (though we'll see how much longer he'll be a Brewer), so getting a numbered parallel like this is kind of nice. The blue really goes well with Brewer colors, too. I have to say that the couple of blasters of Opening Day I bought constituted what was probably the second most enjoyable collecting experience I had in 2014. The set, in my opinion, is a smaller version of what a Topps flagship set should be. There are parallels, but not a glut. Same with inserts. Expand the checklist and jettison a lot of the BS, and we've got a fun, collectable set. Also, lower the price of a 10-card pack to $1.50 (or 15 for two dollars), and you've got a hit.

2 comments:

P-town Tom said...

The blue parallels in Opening Day are my favorite in the entire hobby. They look pretty sharp with a Cubs player on the card, too!

Lonestarr said...

I agree with P-town Tom. Opening day blues are some of the better parallels ever made.