Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My Workout Playlist #1

This morning I went to the gym. As of late, I usually play a podcast during my workout, but since all of my favorites publish a little less often during the summer, I didn't have anything new to play, so I switched back to music. The most enjoyable way for me to listen is to just put the iPod on shuffle and see what fate deals. Today's mix earned about a B grade, keeping me entertained throughout without wowing me. I hope you enjoy this chronicle of my random mix and discover one or two new things you like.

1. "Laisse Tomber les Filles" by France Gall
Cool '60s French pop that inspired a song from Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof.


2. "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)" by Nouvelle Vague
Nouvelle Vague is a French duo that covers '80s new wave and punk songs by arranging them in a bossa nova style and hiring female singers for the vocals. Sounds weird, but it works. A very French beginning to my workout so far.


3. "I'm Afraid the Masquerade is Over" by David Porter
Fun, eclectic soul.


4. "Could Well Be In" by The Streets
A track from a British hip-hop concept album? Why, yes, of course! Seriously, go find A Grand Don't Come For Free, listen to it, then come back and thank me.


5. "Smells Like Teen Spirit (Live at Reading)" by Nirvana
From a decent enough live album. It's comforting to know that there's still Nirvana stuff out there I have never listened to yet.


6. "Precious" by Depeche Mode
Quality.


7. "The Waltz' by Dave Brubeck
From the album Brubeck Plays Brubeck, this one I couldn't find for you. No matter, it kind of slowed me down. Not good for working out.

8. "I'm a Loser" by The Beatles
What shuffle mix would be complete without the Beatles? From the album Beatles For Sale. This video makes me curious about the show Shindig.


9. "Wilmot" by The Sabres of Paradise
Cool as shit downtempo dancehall groove, it has a bit of a Lionel Belasco vibe to it.


10. "The Only Thing" by Sufjan Stevens
I got to hear him play his new album live back in April. This song is on that album Carrie & Lowell.


11. "The Jean Genie" by David Bowie
Not my favorite on the Aladdin Sane album, but still fun, good for pedaling that last quarter-mile.


12. "Still Life" by The Russian Futurists
A damn shame this song only has 88 views on YouTube. Please help change this!


13. "Can't Get Off" by The Gates of Berlin
Another one with no video link, but you can check out their myspace page.

14. "One Particular Moment" by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
From The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Soundtrack, this was a perfect song to wind down to, struggling through those lat few last pull downs.


If you'd like to listen to all of the playable tracks at once, I've made a playlist that you can enjoy. Pretty good listening if you're docking around sorting cards or something like that tonight.
THORZUL MIX 8/5/15

I'd love to hear any feedback on this experiment. Is it something you'd like to see again? Were there particular songs you enjoyed? New music you've never heard before but want to hear more of? Please leave any thoughts you wish to share in the comments.

4 comments:

Nachos Grande said...

I'm always interested in new music - so this is a great idea in my book!

Tony L. said...

I fell in love with Mike Skinner and the Streets back in 2005 when "Fit But You Know It" (in an edited form, of course) was on the FIFA game on PlayStation. In fact, it was The Streets, Bloc Party, The Rakes, Morrissey's "Irish Blood, English Heart", Franz Ferdinand...man, it was an incredibly great soundtrack that year.

Great post, Thorzul.

jackal726 said...

Nice mix, has a couple new things to check out, a couple classics, and something that has been in heavy rotation for me lately (we're going to see Sufjan in November, so we're getting into the new album).

grissha hamearth said...

Hello, i'm glad to scan the entire content of this web log and am terribly excited and happy to mention that the webmaster has done a really sensible job here to place all the data content and knowledge at one place.
Kunjungi Website
Kunjungi Website