Tuesday, December 1, 2015

2015 Card-vent Calendar: December 1

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it's time to drop absolutely everything for a month, and snuggle up next to a roaring fire to dream not about sugar plums, but 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" dollops of joy. Yes, Virginia, it's Card-vent, the most joyous season of the year. There have been a number of recurring features over the years on this site. Some point to Trade Me Anything as their favorite, but Card-vent, to me, blasts everything else out of the water. I love Christmas, I love countdowns, and I love cards. That being said, it's time to light the first purple candle on your Card-vent wreath, take a deep breath, and open the first door on this year's calendar.

December 1, 2015:
2015 Topps Road to Wrestlemania Hall of Fame #13 Rowdy Roddy Piper


This year, the world of wrestling... no, make that THE WORLD. PERIOD. The world lost one of its greats. Rowdy Roddy Piper was one of the best ever on the microphone, and brought a manic intensity and an unhinged charisma to the ring that no one has ever matched. (As an aside, my current favorite wrestler on the WWE main roster is Dean Ambrose. If management would give him some more leeway on his character development, I think he could be maybe halfway as entertaining as Piper. And half of a Piper is better than anything else they're currently running over there.)

If Piper is kicking off this Card-vent, I'm hoping that sets the tome for the rest of the celebration. I'm really digging this year's calendar design, too. It reminds me of the house from one of my all-time favorite movies, Home Alone.
"My name's Murphy."

2 comments:

RAZ said...

Nice start to the calendar. I got to see Piper wrestle live when RAW came to Idaho in 2005. I wish they'd come back some time, because it was a fun show to watch.

Zach said...

#20 is about where Kevin laid down the open-window-ornament trap.