Saturday, December 19, 2015

2015 Card-vent Calendar: December 19

December 19, 2015:
1960 Topps #204 Ryne Duren

This is probably my favorite card found in this year's calendar so far. There's a lot to say about it. My first thought was that, with those awesome shades, Duren reminded me of a gum ball machine that used to be in my neighborhood. This machine was sponsored by the American Council of the Blind, and it had a big sticker on the front with a drawing of a blind man indicating that proceeds from it would go to the charity.
My next thought was that it was Ryne himself who cut this card. As it turns out, I should not make fun, as Mr. Duren did indeed have problems with his sight.
Actually, there's a lot of cool stuff about this guy, including his bad-ass bullpen entrance and subsequent warm-up, his successful battle with alcoholism, and the characters, both real and make believe, that he inspired. Just go read about him yourself.

1 comment:

Diara Dominy said...

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well Website Website Website