Saturday, January 14, 2017

Top Pulls of 2016: #3

It's been a few days since the last pull was revealed. It was a long work week interrupted by a day of feeling like utter crap, prompting me to stay home from work on Thursday. Things are looking up as a three-day weekend is upon us.

Card:
2014 Topps MLS Chrome #OT-DE One-Two Clint Dempsey / Brad Evans Magenta Printing Plate (1/1)

From: Hobby Box

Why I Like It:
This is another example of late-in-the-year events causing a particular card's stock to plummet. Ordinarily, any Dempsey 1/1 would be an automatic best pull of the year. Even an out-of-form Dempsey, as he was this season, would have claimed the top spot. I mean, I own one USMNT jersey, and it's a Clint Dempsey. He's my favorite national team player. However, an improbable Seattle Sounders MLS Cup run (which I predicted), and non-factor Dempsey's ignorant comment made toward the Portland Timbers (He should have said, "I didn't have shit to do with winning this cup."), made this card fall a couple of spots in my esteem. However, it's still pretty great, and Clint will have a chance to redeem himself as World Cup 2018 qualifying marches on.

No comments: