Friday, March 17, 2017

Top Pulls of 2016: #1

I thought I'd try and get this posted before a quarter of 2017 is already gone.

Card: 2015 Topps WWE Road to WrestleMania #46 The Miz Red Border Parallel (1/1)

From: Hobby Box

Why I Like It:
I'm sure I've written about this before, but for me a large part of what makes a pull great is the amount of quality relative to expectation. Card collectors, much like wrestling fans, want to be surprised. I never expect to get some amazing card when I'm opening packs, especially stuff with a relatively low per-pack price. When I bought my annual box of Update, I think I added the RtWM box on a whim, partially just to get to the order total that would merit free shipping. I opened this packs from this box in the waning days of December. In this set, you get a colored border parallel every few packs or so, and when I pulled this I was like, "Huh, red border, haven't seen one of these yet." Upon turning the card over I see the 1/1 stamp. Crazy.

Let's talk about the subjects of this card for a minute. Back in the build-up to WrestleMania 31, the Miz was fully entrenched in his and Damian Sandow's "Mizdow" gimmick. For the uninformed, the Miz's broad character is the Hollywood phony. Damian Sandow, despite impressive facial hair growing abilities, was a consummate mid-carder. The story here was that the Miz hired Sandow to be his stunt double. When the Miz would wrestle, "Mizdow" would stand outside the ring pantomiming the Miz's every move throughout the match. It was a funny gimmick, but one with an understandably limited shelf life. As of right now, Sandow is no longer in the WWE, but the Miz has become one of the most consistently entertaining performers on the roster. Part of this resurgence can be attributed to his appearances on Talking Smack, the WWE Network program that follows Tuesday night's broadcast of Smackdown Live. The show, which relies heavily on the panel interview format, has become well-known for blurring the lines between the predetermined story lines of the WWE universe (kayfabe) and real-life events. The Miz is currently on the road to a WrestleMania match that will team him up with his real and on-screen wife Maryse against John Cena and his significant other Nikki Bella. Some of the promos the Miz has been cutting, against Cena, Bella, and Smackdown general manager Daniel Bryan, have been cutting extremely close to real life sentiments. The result is some great TV.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do own a Mizdow T-shirt. I got it on clearance after the gimmick had run its course, but Vince did get a bit of my money.

So, yes, I'm very happy to have this card.

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I was still watching MTV's "The Real World" when The Miz was one of the housemates. Nice pull!

CrazieJoe said...

Very nice card. It has been nice seeing The Miz succeed again. Maybe not likely to main event another Wrestlemania, but succeeding nonetheless. Full disclosure - I have an I'm Awesome Miz shirt that I got early on in the gimmick.